Forget Morality. The REAL Reason People Don't Stay Married

I have a thought about why so many marriages fail today, and it has to do with McMansions. I have no data to back it up, but one of these days when I have a spare minute, I will correlate the divorce rate and the size of houses and see if there is a statistical relationship.

Here is the premise: For the past 2 generations, kids started getting their own rooms. Bigger houses combined with smaller family sizes meant that there was no more sharing a room with your little brother.

This means no learning to compromise; you can decorate with whatever you want and have total control of your space. So when you get married and have to give that up, after a while it isn't fun anymore. Eventually, somebody gets fed up, and then you head for the big D.

More later after I run the stats. Of course it's more complicated than that, but I think it is a factor. Who knew urban planning (or architecture) could save marriages? For a starter in the meantime, see http://www.notsobighouse.com/

Comments